Automatic link to users

Idea: when parsing “@tmcw” in the markdown part of a notebook, automatically create a link to https://beta.observablehq.com/@tmcw (using the text “@tmcw”, or “Tom MacWright”, or also add the icon…)

1 Like

Is it too much typing / visual clutter to just type [@tmcw](/@tmcw) to get @tmcw? I would recommend against adding too many special cases.

Edit: not trying to sound dismissive. Maybe even slight reductions in friction for making social links would be helpful for community building.

1 Like

Yes, maybe it’s better to keep to the standard. I don’t know.

Heh, yep - I’m not sure either. It would be cool, but it’s also good to stick to the standard (right now our Markdown support is roughly CommonMark-compliant). I think it’ll depend on how much we see people trying to link between notebooks and to users, and that’ll take some time and observation.

1 Like

One thing you could do is explicitly mention the ability to make links to elsewhere under beta.observable.com by using links like [@tmcw](/@tmcw), somewhere in the introductory notebooks.

Comments do support @username for referring to users, linking to observablehq.com/@username. It might be nice if in comments syntax like @username/notebook#cellname would expand to observablehq.com/@username/notebook#cellname.

3 Likes