Are observable notebooks indexed by google

I’ve tried googling some of the introductory notebooks and haven’t been able to find them (thought I’ve found references to them). Are notebooks not indexed by google/ other search engines?

I was thinking of making a my blog into a notebook (with interactive how tos) but want it to be searchable.

Cheers
Mat

nevermind, I can see they are index :expressionless:

1 Like

Thanks for raising this. I just found that even shared (not ‘published’ notebooks) are being indexed by Google. This makes me a bit more reluctant to share out works in progress to friends and colleagues :confused:

4 Likes

Could you DM me an example? I noticed that the robots property is missing in the server-side rendered markup (but present when hydrated). It’s likely that someone shared the link publicly and then Google failed to recognize the tag.

@tom It would probably be a good idea to add the noindex flag server-side?

Edit: Googling for site:observablehq.com/d/ yields plenty of results. It appears that most of them get picked up when they are shared on talk.observablehq.com.

2 Likes

Looking into this now. We already do add noindex tags server-side, but these look like old copies of pages.

2 Likes

Did this get changed? Now googling for site:observablehq.com/d/ doesn’t seem to turn up anything.

1 Like

Yes – though we implemented server-rendered noindex tags, there was a period of time last year when we didn’t have noindex tags, and Google never recrawled those pages. I filed a manual removal request for those, to clean them up.

3 Likes

Hi, I am relatively new here but I have published several notebooks intended to inform the public generally and I am quite surprised to find that my notebooks are not discoverable on Google even if I search for their exact titles. Why would anyone want a public notebook to not be indexed? Isn’t the desire for discoverability implied by the choice between listed and unlisted?

Example search: Vacancies among East Bay apartments +site:observablehq.com - Google Search

This turns up one of my other notebooks but not the named one that I made public more than a month ago. Is it possible that something about the recent transition to “pro”-style sharing has broken discoverability?