Stacked 3D Hex Bin Histograms

https://my.compclassnotes.com/guest/9437/frame/embed

PLEASE ROTATE GENTLY and THERE IS A LAG of about 1-4 s

Wobbly 3D texture mapped stacked Hex Bin Histograms:

1. Can we do this in Observable with better resolution?

2. Each stack is texture map of Hex Bin geo-Histogram into a 3D rectangle, can we replace the texture map some sort of vector graphics??? I doubt but maybe someone knows how

3. If possible in Observable could we still have the tool-tip pop up in 3D?

4. Could we render without the lag?

Dara

Not really what you want - but similar: https://observablehq.com/@gordonsmith/untitled/2

Terrific, is the map tiled? Or it just looks that way.

Excellent and I will study and get back to you .

Dara

Here’s a simple implementation using X3Dom:

I’m aware that your interested in the images being generated dynamically. I’m not sure how much of a drag on performance during loading that will be but rotation should be quite smooth.

Dang this is much better than mine on Wolfram Cloud!!!

I am going to fork your notebook and steal some code.

Let’s have a chat

Dara

1 Like

Dear Mark can you show me how to control the opacity of the texture maps?

Thanx

That is trickier since the image itself really needs to have some level of transparency, in addition to the X3Dom object. That’s easy enough to do on the Mathematica side with a command like

imageOut = SetAlphaChannel[imageIn, 0.4]

Using that, I made a first pass at your request by adding opacity to all the stacked hex images:

Technically, that satisfies your request but I’m guessing you want the ability to choose which map is displayed while dimming the others? That would be doable, but it would require a bit more work still. We’d obviously need two images for for each map - a transparent one and an opaque one. In addition, we’d have to fiddle with the so-called z-index of each slice because I don’t believe that X3Dom automatically puts the opaque object on top - that is, transparent objects can sometimes still obscure objects behind.

Also, it’s worth mentioning that we’d probably not be able to do a smooth transition from opaque to transparent without a whole range of corresponding images. I doubt that’s a big deal, though.

No need right now for any such fancy app:

Just show me to make the transparencies brighter

I think that’s just a function of the level of opacity in the underlying image. Have another look now, I replaced the top two slices with images of higher opacity. I did just two so that you can easily see the difference.

Of course, there is a trade off here - more transparency implies less visibility. :slight_smile:

Mark the overlapping regions get brighter than dimmer, something might be backwards?

Thanx Mark it looks better,

The very last version is fantastic.

Let’s close this for now, I need to get some new data to show you.

Dara