🏠 back to Observable

Lock a Cell on the Side

Something for the wish list - I would love a feature to be able to lock a cell on, say, the left side of the screen, so I can more easily edit code throughout the notebook and see the changes without having to scroll back and fourth. Similar to the blockbuilder style. I find that when I design in Observable, I spend a lot of time scrolling up and down.

(Perhaps there’s a way I could write these notebooks differently that would make this easier, like having shorter code snippets, or grouping cells better, but I haven’t been able to figure something out yet that cuts down on the amount of scrolling.)

1 Like

A workaround for this is to open the same notebook in two different windows: one for editing and one to view the result. This takes advantage of the fact that each edit to an Observable notebook is immediately broadcasted to all open windows.

1 Like

Thanks for the workaround! Looks like this mostly works, except for modifying viewofs.

0 Likes

If what you want is to synchronize changes in input cells, you might look into wrapping your cells with synchronize from this notebook by @mike on the “Broadcast channel” API:

1 Like

Let me also recommend opening (one or more) code-only windows using the .../safe URL. Then it will show all of the code expanded, and not try to render anything.

3 Likes

excellent idea!

0 Likes

You can also temporarily drag the cell you’re editing to be next to the cell that you’re viewing.

0 Likes

yes, but sometimes it’s a lot of dragging :slight_smile:

1 Like