Focus in notebook jumps constantly when typing

I’m new to observablehq and started to edit a notebook in the browser, Firefox 108.0.2 on Ubuntu.

Unfortunately, after about 5 minutes or so of editing, I repeatedly experience a very annoying behaviour. When typing, the focus jumps after each key stroke, making it basically impossible to keep writing anything. If I refresh the window, the problem is gone for some minutes.

It’s easier to understand what I mean if you look at the screen capture which I took. As a new user, I cannot upload files via the forum, so you can find it via this phishy looking link:

I tried in private mode, so no Firefox plugin should have interfered with this.

Update: I also tested Chrome and experienced the same problem.

1 Like

Had you used the search facility at all? I find this same behavior in a notebook of even moderate length when I type if there’s something in the search box. Even if I close the search box, it still happens - I have to actually delete the text in the search box to stop it.

2 Likes

Unfortunately you’ve run into a bug for which we still have an open issue. In the meantime, please open the Find/Replace pane again and clear the search field:

2 Likes

Ahh, thanks so much for the quick answers! That’s already helps a lot and makes work on the notebooks possible again.

1 Like