FAQ: October 2022 Platform Change

Yes - that happened to me, too. If you embed cells in webpages, the change on the webpage as well.

Yup. We have plans to change that behavior.

2 Likes

I also want to second that the inability to have a draft for a published notebook will result on broken notebooks while these are being developed.

The forking option seems cumbersome compared with the previous behaviour of publishing, altho I understand that for now that may be the only option to “publish” a notebook.

The possible feature mentioned about having a “published” version that other see by default, even if the latest updated for the notebook are also public, could also be a fairly good replacement of the “publish” functionality.

2 Likes

Thanks. We are actively exploring options for this. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Hi, I’d like to understand more about the rationale behind the price points.

The cost of $15 per month is 4 times what I pay on GitHub for the privilege of having private Git repositories. Is this a deliberate move to push people into the Teams option?

ObservableHQ did a $36 million Series B raise in January 2022. Are the pricing changes aimed at increasing the ARR of the company to gear up for a Series C or another raise?

Are the prices locked in for a period of time?

ObservableHQ is good, but I don’t think it’s $15-a-month-for-private-notebooks good, and I will likely host my own Javascript on my own server for this amount, instead of being constrained by this limitation. There are significant alternatives to Javascript visualisation such as Python’s bokeh that are open source, and we can always use plain old d3.js. So yes, I don’t understand the pricing rationale.

4 Likes

In a meeting with collaborators right now and considering consequences/alternatives, seems like a big mistake. Using Observable in educational context with students and others and the ripple effects of breaking things are unpredictable.

3 Likes

New concern

This is a huge issue. If these features are only available in private notebooks (understandably), free users need some number of allowed private notebooks to be able to actually explore Observable’s full functionality. It also hamstrings education applications outside of a team context, hobby projects, etc.

2 Likes

Just wanted to follow up here and acknowledge that I did end up reaching out to Courtney directly and she was able to offer me a discounted (actually free) individual plan. I still hope that some of the other comments in this thread (e.g., having a finite number of private notebooks in the free plan) get incorporated in future iterations. If you are a student using Observable, for now, it seems like your best option is to reach out directly.

Thanks @courtney!

4 Likes

Philip, thanks for the reminder to post our education request form in this thread. :slight_smile: We respond to these submissions personally but the form gives us the information we need to get a discount started. Students, teachers, and researchers are welcome to reach out.

1 Like

Hi folks,

Just announced this in our Release Notes:

Pause live edits

We heard some great ideas in the Observable forum and our feedback repo about how to better support editing public notebooks. Folks wanted to have a way to continue editing without worrying about breaking other notebooks that depended on those notebooks. They also wanted a simpler way to edit without others seeing their works-in-progress. We are excited to announce this new feature and hope it addresses these concerns.

You can now pause a public notebook at the current version, which allows you to edit your notebook without the public seeing your edits in real-time.

Learn more about navigating the @paused and @latest versions.

3 Likes