error with observable_jupyter embeds

Hi, I’m seeing an error that appears to have started today with the embedded visuals from the observable_jupyter library. My previously embedded visuals are showing this error which can be reproduced using this Google Colab: demo Google Colab notebook from the observable-jupyter repo:

Here’s a screenshot

It is interesting since the first gear embedding is working and the visuals from the embedded Observable notebooks are working properly on ObservableHQ

Would anyone know if something might have changed with Observable HQ’s API?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Hi. Sorry for the disruption—we just released support for lazy imports (automatic tree shaking) yesterday which caused this regression.

This error occurs when you’re using an older version of the Observable Runtime against the latest compiled modules returned by the API. You’ll need to be running Observable Runtime 4.25.0 or later to use the current API. More context here: v4.25.0 introduced breaking changes? · Issue #342 · observablehq/runtime · GitHub

We’re considering rolling back this change to the ?v=3 compiled format to retain backwards compatibility with older versions of the Observable Runtime. So, if you can wait a day or so, this problem should fix itself. But if you can’t wait for our fix, please upgrade your Runtime to the latest version.

1 Like

Hi @mbostock, thank you for the quick reply. That would be great if you all are able to roll out a fix that supports the previous runtime version. For clarification would this fix the previously embedded notebooks like the one in the Google colab notebook or in HTML files? We have used this embedding method extensively and a retroactive fix would be great for our use case.

Yes, it should.

1 Like

I haven’t even confirmed this works, and it’s not a retroactive fix (sounds like that should be coming soon!), but fwiw @thomasballinger kindly merged my quick PR to bump the runtime version in observable-jupyter 0.1.14.

1 Like

Thanks @tophtucker, I can confirm that the new version of observable-jupyter 0.1.14 is working on Google Colab and I’ll update when we confirm the old embeds are working after ObservableHQs API is updated again.

2 Likes

We’ve reverted the changes to the ?v=3 compiled format and introduced a new ?v=4 compiled format that adopts dynamic import. This should now be fixed.

2 Likes

thank you @mbostock, I can confirm that it is working again.

1 Like