SQL cells and self hosted database

Hello. I can’t use the SQL cells with self hosted database. A long time ago, I managed to use a local mysql database using this notebook published in 2019. The connexion works. But, it doesn’t work with sql cells. If you have any ideas, I’d love to hear them

1 Like

Not that I can claim to know much of anything about databases, but what happens if you select your already explicitly named DB?

It doesn’t change anything.

Strange. I wish I could help, but this seems to be a bug or something… not sure why the SQL cell wouldn’t work when you’re clearly connected…

Any errors in the JS console? And what do you get when you run a count query on the table?

No error in the console. If I run a count query, nothing appends. But if I query a table that doesn’t exist, the error ER_NO_SUCH_TABLE is returned. Wierd…

If you’re willing to roll up your sleeves even further, you could take a look at the network request that gets sent and inspect the response status and data.

@mootari - Would this be a networking issue? The first post shows that using a non-SQL cell, neocarto can run his query just fine. The problem appears to have something to do with how the SQL cell is interpreting the results… or perhaps I am misinterpreting this?

Did you ever figure this out? If not, looks like a good case for writing to the support team …

No, I have not been able to solve this problem…

I have the same problem, with a self hosted database, too. Although it has an output if I use the DatabaseClient instead of a SQL cell.

1 Like

I have definitely been having this problem. Here’s the description I tweeted a few days ago:

I have a workbook which attempts to do a simple query using a proxied database. Using DatabaseClient(“foo”) and db.query(…) it’s fine, but using a SQL cell I see nothing.

I see “DataCloneError: The object can not be cloned” in Console.

Mac Safari and Chrome.

1 Like

I will notify the support team. Thanks all. This does seem like a bug.

2 Likes

FYI, @mkfreeman has kindly begun taking a look at my report (from the Twitter conversation).

1 Like

Hi all,

Thanks for your patience with this issue - we believe that we’ve identified and resolved the problem. We appreciate that you surfaced the issue, and please let us know if you have further issues!

2 Likes

I still see a similar problem. Using locally hosted observable-database-proxy to a postgres db. When I use db.query() everything runs fine. However, if I use SQL cell with the same db and query I get TypeError: object is not iterable (cannot read property Symbol(Symbol.iterator))

3 Likes

Same thing. Same error message

1 Like

Thanks @zookini + @neocarto - we’ll look into this today!

1 Like

Thanks again @zookini + @neocarto – we identified and fixed the cause of this issue (a change that followed our initial fix). It should be working, but again please let us know if you have any issues.

2 Likes

It works perfectly! Thank you very much.