markdown character series crashed cell

md(1) crashes my cell. The completion of typing the last ')' in "md(1) causes the `(1) to become repeated twice in the cell and cell/page causes an error and page crash.

Screen Shot 2021-05-15 at 12.18.12 PM

Yikes! Sorry Brooks, and thanks for the report. I canā€™t seem to reproduce that; could you make a screen recording of this happening, with your browserā€™s developer console open to show errors?

Iā€™m just guessing from the appearance of that ā€œSaveā€ button but it looks like youā€™re on a Mac, in which case you can start a screen recording by pressing āŒ˜-Shift-5. To open the developer console in Chrome, Safari, or Firefox, press āŒ˜-āŒ„-I and click the ā€œConsoleā€ tab. Iā€™d also be happy to screenshare with you to try to reproduce and diagnose.

If it makes you feel better I canā€™t reproduce it from scratch and that problem cell is gone. Clean notebook and clean cell and I canā€™t reproduce. But basically the behavior was such that adding the closing parenthesis to (1 in the example above produced the second `(1) that you see in the screenshot. And that was with autocomplete off. With autocomplete on or off for parentheses completion I canā€™t reproduce.

So sleep well for now :slight_smile:

Iā€™ll screenshot next time something happens. Iā€™m invested in Observable and Iā€™ll do a better job of communicating the bugs if I encounter any. Plain english for odd bugs is sometimes less than sufficient :slight_smile:

Haha no worries about the plain English bug report, we welcome those too! Iā€™ll keep an eye out, and you know where to find me.