πŸ’£ Livestream on πŸš… realtime dashboards of realtime IoT data

I am livecoding with a fascinating domain expert on industrial flower processes, Gabriel Coch, next Tuesday. We hope to bridge Blues Wireless Sensors in Colombia to Observable dashboards with WEBCode.run webhooks so we can bring data into a Firebase and visualize it all in a single notebook.

Calendar invite and stream details Upcoming Events / Endpoint Services / Observable

5 Likes

Next episode is in 3 hours, we are gonna be sending Observable generated charts over WhatsApp beamed straight into field works mobile devices. No Wifi is required, it will work with the cellular network! Get data where it is needed, in the moment it is needed!

2 Likes

Hi, just released the tidied-up video of EP03: Dashboards over WhatsApp. This might interest anybody who wants to embed plot dashboards in 3rd party applications.

Next week we will use DuckDB to perform SQL predictive analysis over our data streams, so we can warn our farmers if their livelihoods are at risk. The calendar invite and details are in the notebook.

1 Like

EP04. Firebase β†’ DuckDB (clientside). I am quite excited by the potential here. We can get our SQL cells live refreshing as fresh data comes in over the realtime firebase connection. So this can be used to power realtime dashboards with SQL.

We ran out of time to really get the offline data processing pieces finished so we will roll that over to next time. I am on holiday next week so it will in be two weeks time (calendar link in notebook).

2 Likes

Ep05 is out and we extend our data processing with pre-aggregations so we can apply a lambda architecture and have realtime charts over wide time intervals

I am quite proud we reused the dataflow logic prototyped last time time by wrapping it in a function. This technique I call functionification and its development has allowed me to use dataflow in more places without worrying I have painted myself into a corner. There is a skip to section chooser in the notebook so you can jump straight there if that’s interesting.

I am on vacation again! Next one in 3 weeks, link to calander in notebook. I hope to talk about productionization topics next time!

1 Like

EP06: Productionisation topics!

In the episode we fully whitelabel our interactive dashboards onto a custom URL using Netlify as a reverse proxy onto a webcode endpoint that is doing a custom embedding. I think it took about 20 minutes in total! (try it: https://qafalwyj.com/)

Later we added Sentry for user session error monitoring and continuous error monitoring with healthcheck/uptimerobot. You need error monitoring if you want to put Observable code on the critical path of your customer journeys. This episode was quite generic and useful for many different applications.

I have a consulting gig for August so the videos will take a break for a month or so. I provisionally have a sensors-on-maps video booked for September (link in notebook).

Thanks for your support! See you in September for more IoT/Observable topics!

EDIT: Oh the other thing is that I know 1 hour of video is a large investment of time, so if you look at the recent videos I have been embedding a video chapter selector dialogue which I think is pretty useful for getting straight to the parts you are interested in. I think thats a pretty generally useful technique too.