Is it possible to embed Math Notepad in Observable?

Math Notepad is made from math.js, and I’m wondering if it can be embedded in Observable’s notebooks? Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Like most modules available via npm, math.js can be included in Observable via require. You could certainly rebuild Math Notepad after that, if you wanted.

I sometimes use the parsing features available in math.js when building interfaces to allow users to enter a function. For example, here’s an overly simple function plotter (just proof of concept, at this point):

3 Likes

If it is possible, could you show me how to do it in an Observable notebook?

BTW, I’m just curious, how do you embed a notebook in this forum?

I think I meant to write that you could emulate Math Notepad within the Observable notebook fairly easily. For example, you could write:

{
  let a = math.evaluate('[1, 2; 3, 4]');
  return math.det(a);
}

and get -2 back out. I suppose that you could rebuild the whole Notepad, if you wanted, but I’m not sure why one would.

BTW, I’m just curious, how do you embed a notebook in this forum?

It’s super easy - just use the standard embed tool. To embed the notebook above, I just placed the iframe on one line:

<iframe width="100%" height="374" frameborder="0" src="https://observablehq.com/embed/@mcmcclur/math-plot?cells=viewof+f%2Cplot"></iframe>
1 Like

I think I’ve got your point. :slightly_smiling_face:
Thanks for your kind help, I’ve learned a lot.

Hi, I did some work on it and thought you may find it usefull. Essentially the same way you can write expressions in latex with tex`2^2` you could writhe expressions in mathjs using mt`2^2` inside the following notebook

Mathjs inside HTML and mardown