Hyperbolic tree programmer sought

I don’t know if this is even allowed here in the forum, so please tell me if it’s not.

The company I work for is looking to hire a developer to code a hyperbolic tree. We would like it to be easily fed by external data, and be able to handle at least 1,000 nodes, if not more. The purpose is to allow our customers to browse the relationships in custom data sets, and to select nodes that will bring up info panels.

Through a previous business arrangement, we have the rights to use Xerox’s patented 2D hyperbolic algorithms. We want something that runs natively in any web browser. A good programmer did a hyperbolic tree in Flash for us back on the early 2000s, and the resources from that project (code and graphics) would be available.

I’ve recently been playing around with embedding Observable visualizations on web sites, and I’m impressed with the design and ease of use. I know that hyperbolic trees have been done successfully with D3 in the past, and I’m wondering about the rules of this Observable environment. Is it appropriate to hire someone to do this type of work here, or not? Can private work be done that’s not forkable by everyone on the site?

Thanks!

1 Like

Absolutely! Only you are allowed to see your private notebooks. If you don’t want to share your work, simply don’t publish your notebooks to keep them private. If you want to work with other people on private notebooks, we recommend creating a team. Alternatively, you can enable link sharing on your notebooks and only share the link with your coworkers.

As for finding a developer to hire, you might try the data-vis-jobs Google group.

There is a d3-hypertree module that might be useful for you, and an example notebook.

3 Likes

Hey Mike,

Great to hear from you, and thanks for the clarifications. It turns out that I’ve already been in touch with Michael Glatzhofer because I found his work on GitHub, but didn’t realize he was here. So I’ll get back in touch with him and check his availability.

incidentally, the programmer who did our quite excellent Flash-based tree in the early 2000s was Jared Tarbell, whose work you know because you have a fork of his Substrate here on Observable.

Thanks!

1 Like