gantt like chart to show operation mode during the month

Hello,
I have been browsing through the examples etc. but either they are very complex or I fail at simple things when forking them.
I want to replace my excel based chart by observable but would love to get some guidance on how to do it
any help is highly appreciated

enjoy your weekend
stefan

Can you describe which examples you’ve tried and why/how they failed to work for you?

I played arount with Build a simple interactive Gantt chart / packelend | Observable but got frequent “SyntaxError: Unexpected token”. In addition, I tried to make a thick x-grid line every three months, so every three months the line is thicker, but all approaches (e.g. d3.timeMonths) failed and reported errors were not helpful.
I found it too difficult to debug, so I gave up in the end.

If you have an idea how to do that; I’m keen to learn it.

To create the quarterly grid, add this mark:

Plot.gridX({ticks: "3 months", strokeWidth: 2})

it’s a bit more tricky, it’s supposed to be monthly, but every third month is supposed to be thicker (to indicate the quarter)

It’s really not. :wink:

oh, that is simple :sweat_smile:
where is that documented?

I had problems passing variables between blocks, is there any alternative tutorial? I tried hard to follow the official documentation but desperately failed.

In the end, I want to import labelled time periods (with repeating labels, e.g. unti 1 is on may, jun, aug)
The labelled data is stored in an Excel file.
I would like to have a few presets for the time range.

You can find the documentation for Observable Plot here:

You might also want to look through the Plot gallery for inspiration:

Probably the most important thing to keep in mind is that Plot is composable (meaning you can combine a variety of different marks in the same Plot).

I suppose you’re referring to Observable notebooks here? In that case it might help to read through this introduction:

so much to read :slight_smile:
I will hopefully find some time soon, to restart this project.

thx for your help so fare