draw Plot after some event

hi! i am trying to plot an array of values generated using the popmotion library (the values model a motion curve). see: SpringSolver2 / Sai Perchard / Observable

it seems that Plot executes immediately, before the array of motion values has been generated. i’ve tried a number of workarounds, but all of them seemed like they were adding a lot of complexity to something i assume/hope has a simple solution!

for example, i put the call to Plot in an onComplete callback provided by popmotion. but, it seems like it is not possible to use Plot in regular JS (possibly it’s a special Observable object?)

any help appreciated!

1 Like

You could make arr a view and then have onComplete dispatch an event to let the plot know it’s time to resolve. Here’s an example:

Note that I constructed an HTMLElement simply to have access to dispatchEvent. I do wonder if there’s a more natural way?

Hi @perchard! You can reach into the toolbox provided by Observable’s builtin Standard Library and use Generators.observe():

arr = Generators.observe(notify => {
  const arr = [];
  popmotion.animate({
    to: 100,
    onUpdate: (latest) => {
      arr.push(latest);
      notify(arr);
    }
  }); 
})

This turns your cell into a Generator that produces a new value (the updated array) on every animation update.

If you just want to wait for the end of the animation, you can have your cell return a promise that resolves on completion:

arr = new Promise(resolve => {
  const arr = [];
  popmotion.animate({
    to: 100,
    onUpdate: (latest) => arr.push(latest),
    onComplete: () => resolve(arr)
  });
})
1 Like

@mootari Ooh, that is nice! That way you can watch the path as it’s generated.

1 Like

@mcmcclur thank you for that example. I started to go down this path (using a view) but never quite got to a working solution, so it’s nice to see how this could work!

@mootari thank you for the elegant solution - a generator is not something I have even encountered before, so definitely wouldn’t have thought of this! I also wasn’t aware of the stdlib, although I was using a few things from it that I’d seen in other notebooks. Handy to know about that and have the docs.

Appreciate the help!

1 Like

This is definitely possible and encouraged, see the “Installing” section of the documentation.