Been playing with p8g (webGL processing)

Thanks to @Job for getting Precessing / Job van der Zwan / Observable working.
That has let me port some tweet processing sketches.

p8g is pre version 1 and has a limited instruction set of p5.js but it’s still fun to work with those limitations.

4 Likes

Very cool thanks for pointing me at this! I was hoping to eventually learn some webgl to get around p5 canvas limitations. Maybe I’ll take a look at this and adapt my sound visualizer: Sound Visualizer / Bryant Richardson / Observable

1 Like

Job van der Zwan has updated the template, so it now looks more like standard p5.js with setup() and draw() functions.

1 Like

Glad you like it! Let me know if there are any quirks left! Some will be due to p8g still being developed, others I might be able to fix :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow, this is gorgeous. Thank you for sharing. I am often amazed by things I see here–not just technical things but all kinds of thoughtful communication–but this really stands out.

As a JS novice with limited technical vocabulary who is nonetheless very interested in a lot of what is going on here, things I am wondering are:

• What are the primary motivations in incorporating these frameworks (right word?) into d3 etc. Faster development? Smoother animation? Easier to drop in various math?
  • If I want to think about the tools you are using in terms of pixels managed, frame-rate, smoothness, and especially capacity to represent dense data, what are the variables or aspects you consider most interesting or important or fun?

I am interested in using d3/JS/all available tools to communicate clearly and with very ‘high fidelity’ to measured data–in space somewhere between simulation and charts–about air quality and similar issues. I would be interested in the opinions of people with your chops about my idea for a technique here:

Not at all assuming you will have interest or bandwidth to read, but if you do:

• do you think this is a generally reasonably approach?
  • would you attempt this in d3, and if so with what libraries or additional tools?
  • what do you think of the more wishlist stuff at the bottom (topo-sensitive shade maps etc)–is that d3-compatible or does it sound like more of a game engine or heavy GIS thing?

My 4yo walked up as I was typing this as was entranced by the motion. He said “I wish you could make things like that too daddy.” Me too buddy, but for now I am happy just to see them and hopefully talk about them.

That really needs its own message thread to give justice to all the points address.

Precessing might be good at rendering the points faster than Canvas API because it uses webGL.

D3 has great functions of doing all that Voronoi math and force calculations but I have not considered combine D3 with Precessing output as I have always used SVG or Canvas for that.