Announcing Observable 2.0!

Yes, that worked for me - thanks!!

I had installed the pre-release via yarn so that might have been the problem. I’m accustomed to npm, though, so that’s what I’ve been using since the official release.

I get your point on the distinction between projects and notebooks and how the .md file is analogous to a notebook. I, also, see now that the covert command generates a single .md file so this all makes a lot more sense to me now.

Having said that, it looks like the .md file needs a fair amount of modification to work with the new framework. I guess I was envisioning a closer relationship between the notebook and the framework - something like Svelte and the Svelte REPL, which makes it so easy to start a project online and then download it. Probably, the notebook needs to evolve a bit, though, before that level of integration can happen.

Thanks again for the help!

1 Like

I’m very excited by Observable 2.0, but also have a few thoughts/questions about the developer UX.

Personally, I iterate inside the Observable notebook, then export the code locally and tweak the CSS/HTML for intra-organisational locally-hosted static-site dashboards. I also hook up data pipelines to refresh the underlying data files so the dashboard is real-time.

Framework solves a lot of the offline dashboard building. One of the great strengths of Observable notebooks is importing functions from other public notebooks. While I can ostensibly do that within Framework via cut-and-paste, this can become unwieldily if there’s a large set of bespoke functions.

Maybe I’m overthinking it. The demo and tutorial were a breeze to work through! Great job all!

Fantastic job! Observable Framework looks promising in many aspects. And it will be so handy to publish interactive data dashboards and analysis projects. Currently I’m using published notebooks and embeds for our daily work.

One thing Observable 2.0 is missing currently, is in browser deployment. In current version, if I update a notebook, the embeded page will instantly be updated. I see Observable Staffs sees notebook and framework as different products. But if there is some “syncing” mechanism between notebooks and framework pages will be perfect.

Not sure if this is what you mean by browser deployment, but you might want to check out these devcontainers: Observable Framework in-browser development starter kits (Node, Python).

Congrats on Observable 2.0!

Can you please clarify, will the existing online notebook format of Observable 1.0 continue to exist, or is it being phased out to be replaced by the new framework?

For me, the online notebooks with forking, sharing, etc… are a key feature of Observable.

Hi @akrawitz
The existing online notebook format will continue to exist, and will also continue to evolve. I would recommend reading Mike’s blog post where he describes the different use cases for notebooks and Framework. They both have an important role to play in data visualization.

Hi @mbostock and Observable team.

Building some visualisation dashboards for clinicians here in the biggest hospital group of Europe (in Paris). Framework is great. Your work has impact.

Keep up the great work!

4 Likes

Thanks for building Framework!

For this to work, does the notebook need to be public/unlisted or is there a way to use the login to convert a private notebook?

There currently isn’t a way to access private notebooks with observable convert, though it is something we’d like to add in the future.

1 Like